Masala chai is a flavored tea beverage made by brewing black tea with a mixture of aromatic Indian spices and herbs.
The ancient medicinal ingredient in chai is 'sattvic', which acts as a revitalizing agent that helps to sooth the mind & soul. There are also several other ingredients in this classic tea that not only add warmth but also serve as remedies to cure indigestion and breathing & blood circulation issues. During flu season, many of the antimicrobial qualities are often used to fight against a sore throat & cough.
(source: Kyla Matton, Yahoo! Contributor Network)
Check out this simple recipe for a delicious masala chai!
Total Time: 15 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
4 whole cloves
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons black tea
1. In a mortar, crush the cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon, or use a coffee grinder.
2. Transfer the crushed spices to a small saucepan, add the water, ginger and pepper and bring to a boil.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
4. Add the milk and sugar to the pan and bring to a boil.
5. Remove from the heat and add the tea.
6. Cover and let steep for 3 minutes.
7. Stir the chai, then strain it into a warmed teapot or directly into teacups.