A self proclaimed Foodie and author of a cookbook, Geeta Maini portrays immense pleasure and passion with her cooking. Geeta continues to explore and experiment with the abundance of herbs, spices and ingredients available in the market place to create home-style dishes that are sensuous to the palate. She is currently working on her second cookbook, linking food from a historical, geographical and cultural aspect.
Diwali season is here and Dairy Farmers of Canada teamed up with Spice Goddess Bal Arneson to create a series of delicious South Asian recipes.
Enjoy cheese? These delicious recipes feature the goodness of Canadian cheese made from 100% Canadian milk.
The Spice Goddess’s recipes include:
Cheddar and Ricotta samosas – Bal’s pockets of flavour feature fennel and garam masala with the addition of Canadian Cheddar and Ricotta to bring a touch of smoothness to the veggie filling.
Baked Cauliflower with a cheesy Madras curry dip – However, in her version, Bal sets her curry-spiced cauliflower alongside a cheese dipping sauce of Madras curry paste, yogurt and Canadian Mozzarella for extra flavour and texture.
Peach chutney with Feta – A wonderful marriage of flavours, the fruit and cheese combination creates the perfect balance between sweet and salty. Briny and crumbly with a semi-soft texture, Canadian Feta pairs beautifully with the sweetness of the peaches and smokiness of the paprika.
Palak with pan-fried Paneer – Today, excellent Paneer is made right here in Canada and you can put them to work in the Spice Goddess’ recipe best grilled or BBQ’d.
Grilled chicken with Ricotta sauce – Bal softens the fiery Tandoori flavours of her grilled chicken with a fresh and cooling Canadian Ricotta sauce.
Ricotta rice pudding with fresh berries – The Canadian Ricotta adds a creamy texture to the spice-infused rice pudding contrasts with the fresh fruit and crunchy almonds.
These recipes are available in a booklet distributed at participating Food Basics, Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore, Fortinos, FreshCo, and Walmart stores. They are also available online HERE.
About Bal Arneson
As a TV host, award-winning author and well-known culinary personality, Bal is also known across the globe as the Spice Goddess. Bal is no stranger to spice-infused cooking and has been known to develop delicious dishes using a fusion of ingredients.
Since September of 2009, Bal has been hosting a weekly cooking segment on Global Television in British Columbia. In July of 2010, her cooking series Spice Goddess premiered on the Cooking Channel in the United States and on the Food Network in Canada. Her first cookbook Everyday Indian is a best seller and her second cookbook, Bal’s Quick and Healthy Indian, released in 2010, was a best seller almost immediately upon release. Along with many other appearances in the media, Bal appeared as a judge on the TV series Iron Chef America in early 2011. She currently resides in Vancouver, British Columbia with her 17-year-old daughter, Anoop and 8-year-old son, Aaron.
About Dairy Farmers of Canada
Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC) strives to create favourable conditions for the Canadian dairy industry, today and in the future. DFC promotes quality Canadian dairy products made from 100% Canadian milk as part of a healthy balanced diet.
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Spicy Lamb Chops recipe using KFI Garlic Chili Sauce!
Want to learn how to make Spicy Lamb Chops in under 20 minutes?
All you need is to buy a jar of all-natural KFI Garlic Chili Sauce (available in any major superstore close to your home)!
Spicy Lamb Chops Recipe!
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix together minced ginger, KFI Garlic Chili Sauce, garammasala, cumin seeds and salt pepper. 2. Place the lamb chops in the mixing bowl and make sure they are thoroughly coated. 3. Heat the water and boil the lamb chops for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the water evaporates. 4. Beat the eggs until fluffy and add salt and pepper to taste. 5. Heat a frying pan and add the oil. 6. Dip each lamb chop in the egg mixture and fry for few minutes until golden. 7. Arrange on a platter and garnish with onion rings.
Optional: Serve with a delicious vegetable side dish using KFI Vegetable Curry Sauce!
An cohort of grill kings and queens will take over Downsview Park’s Festival Terrace, August 15-17, 2014, to kick off the first-ever Toronto Summer BBQ and Ribfest. Whether smoked or grilled, hickory or cherry, pork and beef, barbecue is the name of the game in this family-friendly event that also features musical entertainment, rides and activities for children, and a variety of arts and crafts vendors. BBQ vendors include Camp 31 (Brewton, AL), Hogs Gone Wild BBQ (Daytona Beach, FL), Uncle Sam’s (Albuquerque, NM), Sticky Fingers BBQ and Company, and Swine Fellows.
Fresh off a crowd-pleasing performance at the TD IRIE Music Festival, Errol Blackwood will perform a Bob Marley Tribute on Sunday, August 17. Blackwood is the co-founder of Messenjah, a progressive roots reggae band widely regarded asone of the most successful and popular reggae groups in the history of Canadian music.
Other musical acts include R&B outfit Blackburn, winners of the 2010 Maple Blues Award for Best New Artists, and 12-piece all-Cuban group Changui Havana.
The event also features a beer and wine garden, a wide variety of culturally diverse food is available for purchase, as well as chicken, hot dogs, sausages, pizza, corn, baked potatoes, French fries, fried onions, donuts, funnel cakes, popcorn, ice cream, and candies.
Toronto Summer BBQ & Ribfest takes place at Downsview Park, Friday, August 15 (12 noon to 11 p.m.), Saturday, August 16 (12 noon to 11 p.m.), and Sunday, August 16 (12 noon to 8 p.m.). Toronto Summer BBQ & Ribfest welcomes people from across the Greater Toronto Area, from various Canadian cities, and internationally to sample some of North America’s best ribs and culturally diverse foods on the grill. Admission is free. More information, visit HERE.
Brampton based Maple Lodge Farms has launched a “Celebrate With Loved Ones” contest for Zabiha Halal. This contest will give participants a chance to WIN a trip worth $10,000 to anywhere in the world to visit their loved ones.
With a community of more than one million Muslims in Canada, the collective appetite for Halal chicken options is on the rise. More and more Canadians are searching for new Halal food options. Zabiha Halal’s full line of certified Halal fresh, frozen, wieners, breakfast strips, and deli chicken!
“Maple Lodge Farms wants to show its appreciation to our loyal consumers who have made Zabiha Halal part of their family meals for 25 years," said Latif Mirza, Community Relations Manager at Maple Lodge Farms.
"Ramadan is a special time for families and this contest will give them an opportunity to celebrate with their loved ones at some point within the next year”. - Latif Mirza
The interest in Halal products is also growing beyond the Muslim community to include a growing number of health-conscious Canadians interested in food preparations. Maple Lodge Farms is the largest processor of chicken in Canada.
Zabiha Halal chicken products are available at many major grocery retailers across Canada. Apart from serving the Canadian domestic market, Zabiha Halal products are also exported to several other countries across the world.
For more details on the event, please click HERE .
To view the contest on Facebook, please click HERE .
Prepare your own recipe for a fresh tasting, home-made Chicken Jalfrezi with KFI Cooking Sauces!
Want to cook delicious Chicken Jalfrezi under 20 minutes?
Go to any superstore near you and purchase a jar of all-natural KFI Rogan Josh Sauce!
Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe!
1. Cube the chicken breast into 2" cubes. 2. Now pan fry in either butter or oil for 10 minutes or until fully cooked. 3. Add the KFI Rogan Josh Sauce and simmer for 5 minutes Garnish with thinly sliced cashews or chopped cilantro. 4. Serve over a bed of basmati rice or with naan bread.
Optional: Prepare a mouth-watering vegetable side dish with other available KFI Cooking Sauces!
We all love a good chip 'n' dip, but the same old nachos and sour cream can sometimes become a bore. So we decided to do some research on how to give this party favourite a boost and found this great recipe from the Food Network, called Lemon-Garlic Chick Pea Dip with Veggies and Chips. Not only is it quick to make but tastes great & offers a great choice for vegetarians!
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
f1 (15-ounce) can chick peas, drained
1 clove garlic, cracked from skin
1 lemon, zested and juiced
4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, stripped from stems
Coarse salt and pepper
A few drops hot sauce, to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil eyeball it
4 ribs celery from the heart cut into dipping sticks, 4 inches long
1/2 seedless cucumber, cut into sticks
1 red bell pepper, trimmed and cut into sticks
1/2 pint grape tomatoes
1 sack reduced fat gourmet chips (recommended: Terra brand Garlic and Onion Yukon Gold flavor potato chips (50 percent less fat than regular chips))
Combine the chick peas, garlic, lemon zest and juice, thyme, salt and pepper and hot sauce in food processor. Turn processor on and stream in the extra-virgin olive oil. Transfer the dip to a dish and surround with veggies and chips. That'll keep the munching going on until dinner!
"My first vivid memory is watching my mom in a restaurant kitchen. She was flipping something with a spatula. I tried to copy her and ended up grilling my right thumb! I was 3 or 4," said Rachael, who insists that cooking is a way of life she was simply born into. "Everyone on both sides of my family cooks."
Rachael has parlayed that birthright into a wildly successful career as a syndicated television star, an iconic Food Network television personality, best-selling cookbook author, Founder and Editorial Director of her own lifestyle magazine and Founder of the Yum-o! organization.
Diwali, the South Asian ‘festival of lights’ Nestlé Canada is proud to announce
that the special Quality Street Diwali gift tin will be available for a second
assortment of imported chocolates and caramel, Quality Street is an excellent
gift choice for celebrations and events.
“There is an
intrinsic fit between Quality Street and Diwali,” said Ryan Denys, Marketing
Leader, of Nestlé Canada Confectionery Marketing. “Following the success of
last year’s program and the great demand from the South Asian community in
Canada, we are excited to bring the Quality Street Diwali gift tin once again
to nearly 1.5 million Indo-Canadians”.
Street Diwali 725g gift tin is available at select stores with a high
concentration of South Asian consumers in Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta,
one of the most well-known South Asian festivals. It is known as the 'festival
of lights' because houses, shops and public places are decorated with diyas,
candles and colourful lights on this occasion. In Canada, as in India, this
festival is a time for spring-cleaning, wearing new clothes, and exchanging
gifts, sweets and chocolates.
more than a century of research and experience, Nestlé Canada's vision is to be
Canada’s number one food and beverage company, helping Canadians live healthier
and happier lives. Nestlé in Canada manufactures some of the world's most
recognized and trusted brands, including BLACK MAGIC, GOOD START, HÄAGEN-DAZS,
KIT KAT, LEAN CUISINE, NESCAFÉ, NESQUIK, NESTLÉ DRUMSTICK, NESTLÉ POWERBAR,
NESTLÉ PROFESSIONAL, NESTLÉ PURE LIFE, STOUFFER'S and Nestlé Purina BENEFUL.
Nestlé in Canada employs approximately 3,600 people in 21 manufacturing sites,
sales offices and distribution centres across the country.
Masala chai is a flavored tea beverage made by brewing black tea with a
mixture of aromatic Indian spices and herbs.
The ancient medicinal ingredient in chai is 'sattvic', which acts as a
revitalizing agent that helps to sooth the mind & soul. There are also
several other ingredients in this classic tea that not only add warmth but also
serve as remedies to cure indigestion and breathing & blood circulation
issues. During flu season, many of the antimicrobial qualities are often used
to fight against a sore throat & cough.
(source: Kyla Matton, Yahoo! Contributor Network)
Check out this simple recipe for a delicious masala chai!
Total Time: 15 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
4 whole cloves
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons black tea
1. In a mortar, crush the cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon, or use a
2. Transfer the crushed spices to a small saucepan, add the water,
ginger and pepper and bring to a boil.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
4. Add the milk and sugar to the pan and bring to a boil.
5. Remove from the heat and add the tea.
6. Cover and let steep for 3 minutes.
7. Stir the chai, then strain it into a warmed teapot or directly into
We all know water is vital to living a healthy lifestyle, but how important is it really? How does it compare to coke?
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated
2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger
3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 30%
4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study
5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue
6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers
7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page
8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the “real thing” sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy
8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield
More Fun Facts: 1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!
Now the question is, would you like a glass of water or coke?